Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Aren't we Catholics pro-family?

As I sat and read a blog written by a Catholic mother, I thought have how absurd some people are at Mass. As far as I have ever been told, we Catholics are supposed to be pro-life and therefore also pro-family.  But as I sit at Mass, I notice all the glares people are giving parents for having a child that makes noise or won't sit still. I find it quite infuriating. Everyone has the right to be at Mass.  That family might be exhausted from being up all night and really need the healing grace of Jesus in their life at that moment.  They shouldn't feel like they need to sit in the cry room or jump up and run to the vestibule to stand by the cold door so people won't hear the cry.

I do appreciate Fr. Hersey so much when he hears a child cry.  He searches for the child making the noise, looks right at the parents, and smiles! He loves having the children in the Church during Mass.  He says it makes the Church feel alive. I mean those kids are our future as a church.  And if they get the sense that they are not welcome, when they can make the decision, they won't come back.

Before I was a parent, I always wondered how parents could take their focus off of the Mass to "deal" with their children. And then I had Arianna.  I find that her noises and her smiles just redirect my prayer to thankfulness which is what the Eucharist is all about.

So far as a new parent, I haven't felt the annoyance from anyone while having Arianna at Mass. I find that so many people just love seeing her. I mean, why wouldn't they, she is so adorable. And for the most part, she is usually a happy Mass goer.  She likes the music and sometimes "sings" along.  As soon as it gets quiet, she will yell to make sure everyone is still paying attention. She has received so many blessings from Fr. Hersey already.  I love having my job because it means Arianna will grow up in the Church and I truly appreciate that since I didn't find the Church until I was in college.

I don't know if this really had a point other than how much I love my church and hope that people understand that children belong at Mass.


No comments:

Post a Comment